We’ve done some logistical juggling and are now able to keep registration open for Falmouth Rogue through the end of the month!
The good news is that our first practice is on Friday, March 30th and the deadline to register isn’t until the following day, March 31st. So players can now check out the first practice before making the final decision to commit to the full season!
The roads are a bit too slippery to meet tonight, so we’ll be pushing back to meet at noon this Saturday. Same place- Falmouth Town Library on Lunt. Apologies if that conflicts with any weekend plans. The deadline to register will be pushed back to Sunday and I’ll post notes from the meeting Saturday evening.
The 145-gram Jstar disc by Discraft is a wonderfully scaled-down version of the 175-gram Ultrastar discs used in regulation play. We are printing up 100 Falmouth Rogue Jstar discs this year to use in our new 3rd/4th grade intramural program and for use when Coach Shea teaches the Falmouth 4th graders how to play ultimate in their gym classes. Here’s a mock up of how they will look. We’ll have them ready to throw by mid-March!
Credit to Falmouth artist Joey Han for the design of our logo, which converted to one-color beautifully.
Quick heads-up! Instead of meeting on Monday, February 26th, we will now be gathering on Thursday, March 8th from 6-7pm to talk about the upcoming Falmouth Rogue season. If you or your student athlete is planning on playing with the travel team, please try to attend. Also, spread the word!
Please share this widely:
“Falmouth Rogue is a middle school ultimate team with girl and boy players in grades 5-8 and is looking for coaches for the upcoming 2018 season. Our ideal candidates have experience playing competitive ultimate and the ability to teach to and coach middle schoolers. Our travel team practices are three days a week from the first week in April through the second week of June and are held in Falmouth, Maine. Coaches receive free uniforms, discs, and a small stipend upon the successful completion of the season. We also pay for USAU Level 1 Coach certification. To learn more about the team, please visit FMSUltimate.com and/or email coach SheaGunther@gmail.com.”
Get excited for ultimate!
The 2018 season is fast approaching. Here are some good things to know:
– Pre-season Parents and Players meeting is Monday, February 26 from 6-7:00pm at the Falmouth Town Library on Lunt Road. All new and returning parents and players for Falmouth Rogue should try to attend.
– Our first indoor pre-season practice is Friday, March 30th, from 6-8pm, in the Falmouth Middle School gym. Pre-season practices will be held on Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays. Please click over to the Rogue schedule for exact details.
– Two of our practices will be film sessions (due to the unavailability of gym space). On Wednesdays, April 4th and 11th, we’ll be watching professional produced games of ultimate (like this) and eating snacks.
– The deadline for signing up to play on Falmouth Rogue is Friday, March 9th. Due to the time it takes uniforms to be printed, this is a hard and fast deadline. Registration is open now!
– Speaking of uniforms, our team artist Joey Han is hard at-work on putting the finishing touches on this year’s design. It’s going to be awesome!
Roll Falmouth Rogue!
Thanks to the generosity of the 2017 FMS Ultimate parents, we were able to order 200 new discs that were given away to this year’s 5th graders. We had enough to hand out a disc to every 5th grader in Falmouth with enough left over to leave some for the elementary and middle school gym teachers. Coach Shea also spent six weeks teaching ultimate to the 5th graders in their gym classes. Thanks as always to gym teacher Maureen Sylvia for letting us come in! There were a lot of great moments in their last few weeks of gym class ultimate as they got out and starting playing full games. We should have a good strong crew of 5th graders in the spring!